Tuesday, July 7, 2009

"United Breaks Guitars" and inspires country song

I recently came across a country singer's airline-related story of woe on United Airlines (thanks to Alex for the heads up). Dave Carroll was flying from Halifax to Omaha on United Airlines, with a stopover in Chicago, when his guitar was damaged (full story here):

In the spring of 2008, Sons of Maxwell were traveling to Nebraska for a one-week tour and my Taylor guitar was witnessed being thrown by United Airlines baggage handlers in Chicago. I discovered later that the $3500 guitar was severely damaged. They didn’t deny the experience occurred but for nine months the various people I communicated with put the responsibility for dealing with the damage on everyone other than themselves and finally said they would do nothing to compensate me for my loss. So I promised the last person to finally say “no” to compensation (Ms. Irlweg) that I would write and produce three songs about my experience with United Airlines and make videos for each to be viewed online by anyone in the world.
Frustrated with United customer service, Carroll found a creative way to try to get even with the airline: write a song. Called "United Breaks Guitars," the catchy, country-sounding song details his experience. Of course, I'd like to point out that his troubles could have been prevented had he carried his precious guitar with him on board the aircraft - I'm pretty sure that this is possible, having seen passengers carrying guitars on board planes in the past. Nevertheless, it makes for enjoyable watching (and listening).


0 comments:

Post a Comment